Construction continues on the Tavern

I worked more on my fantasy medieval tavern. I knew I needed another wall, since all my dolls together don't fit in the tavern. I decided a wall with a door would be interesting. I could use it as exterior wall and as an interior wall. 

With a door, I knew I needed hinges. I searched only for a few 3D printer files for hinges. One set looked perfect for my door, but it was a "print in place" type hinge that I knew at small scale would wind up nonfunctional. I also found a printable 3 piece hinge. So I printed each at about 33% scale. They came out very small but I was able to assemble the 3 piece hinge using a straight pin for the center. I then purposely busted the larger print in place hinge to glue to either side of the small hinge.

I made the wall out of foam board and true to most my foam board projects, it began to warp. So I glued thick cardboard to the back. The door was a perfect fit and the hinges were working. Then I needed to make the wall freestanding and realized I should have attached a floor. So more foam board across the back....only to realize that when the doorframe is glued straight the door is hard to push closed. So lesson learned about the importance of keeping things squared. 

Pictures!
someone on Facebook commented that this was like a Thai door. I didn't have a specific inspiration for the design....I looked at a few historical doors and door designs from Skyrim and just kind of glued stuff together. Afterwards I did think "geez I should have picked a design to replicate" but overall it fits with my sort of made up tavern anyway. 
Bonus! Even though I didn't measure the initial wall size at all, it fits perfectly at the back of the doll cabinet!

Comments